We’re very excited to share a delicious vegetarian taco recipe from one of our Instagram followers. You can follow them for more delicious recipes and taco-inspiration.
– Makes about 8-10 tacos
4 cans green/unripe jackfruit in brine
*can be found at Trader Joe’s or Asian food market. Make sure it is packed in water or brine, not syrup.
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2-3 chipotles in adobo sauce
3-4 tbs of hot sauce (Valentina, Cholula, or Tapatio)
½ tbs onion powder
½ tbs garlic powder
½ tbs cumin
½ tbs oregano
½ tbs paprika
½-1 tbs cayenne
¾ cup canned pineapple chunks with juice
1 tbs agave nectar (or maple syrup)
2 tbs vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste.
1. Set oven to 475F
2. Drain jackfruit and rinse very well under water
3. Using your hands, pull and tear jackfruit apart. Pinch and squeeze the solid parts to break into smaller pieces. Squeeze excess liquid out of pulled jackfruit.
4. Place pulled jackfruit in a large mixing bowl and add chopped onion
5. Place remaining ingredients in a blender and pulse to a smoothie-like consistency
6. Pour marinade into the bowl with jackfruit and chopped onion and massage well with your hands incorporating all the marinade
7. Taste jackfruit and adjust salt and/or seasonings as needed
8. Spread jackfruit evenly on a large, parchment paper-lined cookie sheet
9. Bake for 1 hour 15 min to 1 hour 30 min at 450 until jackfruit is a bit dried out and corners are starting to char.
10. Set oven to high broil and cook another 10-15 minutes until the desired charred-ness is reached. Keep an eye on it!
11. Taste jackfruit carnitas and add salt as needed.
– Serve with toasted corn tortillas, chopped onion and cilantro, and fresh lime. Top off with your favorite hot sauce